I started with this...the sweater, the rick-rack and my button jar.
I tried a few combinations of the rick-rack. I knew I wanted to use 3 of the colors I got. I then dumped some buttons out and just started randomly picking ones that went with the rick-rack. I ended up with this pattern.
Next, I glued down the buttons using fabric glue, so I wouldn't loose the pattern. I put a piece of wax paper inside the sweater to avoid gluing the front to the back. Then I just hand sewed all the buttons on.
I then pinned the rick-rack on and sewed it using my machine. I measured every to often to ensure I was sewing it on straight.
And here's the finished sweater!! Amazing what a few buttons and rick-rack can do!